September 14 2018 – Zoe Schuler
This isn't our normal blog post, but keep reading for a delicious treat.
Last night we participated in the Downtown Middleton Fall Wine Walk. This event happens twice a year and for $25 you get a wine glass and can wander to over a dozen Downtown Middleton business and sample wines from around the world. Each business also provides delicious food and often a sale or special for the evening.
Last night we served up a variety of sweets. We had Marvel's famous chocolate chip cookies, peanut M&M's, mixed nuts and coconut macaroons, which were the hit of the night (shout out to my dad, Jim, who made the delicious macaroons so Marvel and I could go see a concert the night before). So many people asked for the recipe, so we thought we'd share it here.
Coconut Macaroons are pretty easy to make. They're gluten-free and in the scheme of things, really aren't that bad for you.
2 egg whites
Dash sea salt
½ tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
3-3.5 cups flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup semi or bittersweet chocolate
- Beat egg whites with vanilla and salt until soft peaks form
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form
- Fold in coconut
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet
- Bake at 325 16-20 minutes
- Once macaroons are cool, melt chocolate in bowl over pan of simmering water.
- When chocolate is melted and liquid, remove from heat and gently twirl the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate and then set on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
- Put dipped macaroons in refrigerator until chocolate hardens and macaroons can be lifted off the wax paper.
Thank you to Sally K (from Sally K's Salon) who originally provided the recipe & to Marvel who added the chocolate!